/Restating (not copying) my original posting, the challenge of effective unstructured learning is to utilize every clue and NOT just go with static clusters, etc. This includes temporal as well as positional clues, information content, etc. PCA does some but certainly not all of this, but considering that we were talking about clustering here just a couple of weeks ago, ratcheting up to PCA seems to be at least a step out of the basement./

You should actually try PCA on real data before getting too excited about it.

Clustering and dimension reduction are related, but they are different and equally valid techniques designed for different purposes. It is absurd to say that one is "ratcheting up" from the other.

-Ben