This is getting long in embedded-reply format, but oh well....

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Steve Richfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Abram,
>
> On 7/23/08, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Replying in reverse order....
>>
>> > Story: I once viewed being able to invert the Airy Disk transform (what
>> > makes a blur from a point of light in a microscope or telescope) as an
>> > EXTREMELY valuable thing to do to greatly increase their power, so I set
>> > about finding a transform function. Then, I wrote a program to test it,
>> > first making an Airy Disk blur and then transforming it back to the
>> > original
>> > point. It sorta worked, but there was lots of computational noise in the
>> > result, so I switched to double precision, whereupon it failed to work
>> > at
>> > all. After LOTS more work, I finally figured out that the Airy Disk
>> > function
>> > was a perfect spacial low pass filter, so that two points that were too
>> > close to be resolved as separate points made EXACTLY the same perfectly
>> > circular pattern as did a single point of the same total brightness. In
>> > single precision, I was inverting the computational noise, and doing a
>> > pretty good job of it. However, for about a month, I thought that I had
>> > changed the world.
>>
>> Neat. I have a professor who is doing some stuff with a similar
>> transform, but with a circle (/sphere) rather than a disc (/ball).
>

> The "Airy Disk" is the name of the transform. In fact, it is the central
> maxima surrounded by faint rings of rapidly diminishing brightness typical
> of what a star produces. Note that you can cut the radius of the first
> minima to ~2/3 by stopping out all but a peripheral ring on the lens, which
> significantly increases the resolution - a well known trick among
> experienced astronomers, but completely missed by the Hubble team! Just
> stopping out the middle of their mirror would make it equivalent to half
> again its present diameter, though its light-gathering ability would be
> greatly reduced. Of course, this could easily be switched in and out just as
> they are already switching other optical systems in and out.
>
> Can you tell me a little more about what your professor is doing?

He came up with a fast way of doing the transform, which allows him to
quickly identify points that have spherical shapes around them (of a
given radius). He does the transform for a few different
radius-values, so he detects spheres of different sizes, and then he
uses the resulting information to help classify points. An example
application would be picking out important structures in X-ray images
or CAT scans: train the system on points that doctors pick out, then
use it to pick out points in a new image. Spheres may not be the best
feature to use, but they work, and since his algorithm allows them to
be calculated extremely quickly, it becomes a good choice.

> Imagine a layer where the inputs represent probabilities of situations in
> the real world, and the present layer must recognize combinations that are
> important. This would seem to require ANDing (multiplication) rather than
> simple linear addition. However, if we first take the logarithms of the
> incoming probabilities, simple addition produces ANDed probabilities.
>
> OK, so lets make this a little more complicated by specifying that some of
> those inputs are correlated, and hence should receive reduced weighting. We
> can compute the weighted geometric mean of a group of inputs by simply
> multiplying each by its weight (synaptic efficacy), and adding the results
> together. Of course, the sum of these efficacies would be 1.0.

If I understand, what you are saying is that linear dependencies might
be squeezed out, but some nonlinear dependencies might become linear
for various reasons, including purposefully applying nonlinear
functions (log, sigmoid...) to the resulting variables.

It seems there are some standard ways of introducing nonlinearity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_principal_component_analysis

On a related note, the standard classifier my professor applied to the
sphere-data worked by taking the data to a higher-dimensional space
that made nonlinear dependencies linear. It then found a plane that
cut between "yes" points and "no" points.

> Agreed. Nonlinearities, time information, scope, memory, etc. BTW, have you
> looked at asynchronous logic -  where they have MEMORY elements sprinkled in
> with the logic?! Why? Because they look for some indication of a subsequent
> event, e.g. inputs going to FALSE, before re-evaluating the inputs. This is
> akin to pipelining - which OF COURSE you would expect in highly parallel
> systems like us. Asynchronous logic has many of the same design issues as
> our own brains, and some REALLY counter-intuitive techniques have been
> developed, like 2-wire logic, where TRUE and FALSE are transmitted on two
> different wires to eliminate the need for synchronicity. There are several
> such eye-popping methods that could well be working within us.

This sounds exactly like the invocation model (of Karl M. Fant). Fun
stuff. I hope it catches on.

> (Taking a really long drag) That is what the computation of successive
> eigenvalues already accomplishes, as otherwise, all outputs would simply
> reflect the most significant parameter.

Ah! Cool.

>> For example, the unaltered algorithm might not support
>> location-invariance in a picture, so people might add "eye-movements"
>> to the algorithm, making it slide around taking many sub-picture
>> samples. Next, people might want size-invariance, then
>> rotation-invariance. These three together might seem to cover
>> everything, but they do not. First, we've thrown out possibly useful
>> information along the way; people can ignore size sometimes, but it is
>> sometimes important,
>

> Size is SO related to distance that I doubt that it has much value.

Yet, we absolutely need size information to know how far we need to
reach or walk.

>> and even more so for rotation and location.
>

> Which are SO related to head position that again, I doubt that it has much
> value.

But again, both are absolutely needed to know where to reach our hand
and how to hold it to grasp properly. We simply cannot throw this info
away.

>> Second, more complicated types of invariance can be learned; there is
>> really an infinite variety. This is why relational methods are
>> necessary: they can see things from the beginning as both in a
>> particular location, and as being in a relationship to surroundings
>> that is location-independent. The same holds for size if we add the
>> proper formulas.  (Hmm... I admit that current relational methods
>> can't so easily account for rotation invariance... it would be
>> possible but very expensive...)
>

> However, successive PCA layers should be able to do this with ease, by
> recognizing combinations of picture elements like "right angles", "straight
> lines", no "curved lines" or "unbounded shading", and "bounded shading" to
> recognize darkened geometric shapes regardless of size, distortion, or
> orientation.

My opinion is that these systems would need to memorize the picture
that formed each of these shapes in each location at each size and
rotation, in order to develop the desired invariance-- unless it was
preprogrammed, in which case we need some trick to save the
information for later use while allowing the system to ignore it.

However, this is not a totally educated opinion, I admit. It comes
from the notion that the system simply treats each new pixel as a new
variable in an ever-larger space, but neglects the relationships
between these variables. Extracted patterns tend to look spatial
because those are the variables that turn out to be correlated, but
the system really has no ideas that two pixels are sitting next to
eachother, it just treats them as variables. Am I correct?