Abram,

On 7/23/08, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Wikipedia article on PCA cites papers that show K-means clustering
> and PCA to be in a certain sense equivalent-- from what I read so far,
> the idea is that clustering is simply extracting discrete versions of
> the continuous variables that PCA extracts.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_component_analysis#Relation_to_K-means_clustering
>
> Does that settle it?

Sorry for the delay, but I have been working on a response to this.

1.  That the article that makes this point was first presented in 2004 makes
my original point that despite the advanced age of PCA, that there are some
really new and exciting advances taking place, not withstanding the many
comments here to the contrary, apparently by people who have NOT been
keeping up on this re-emerging field.

2.  Both clustering and PCA methods presume that data is collected,
analyzed, and some sort of decision is made. However, unless the
neurobiological and CS worlds have missed something really important (it
sure wouldn't be the first time), neurons probably do this incrementally,
though there ARE other viable possibilities, e.g. that groups of neurons
could work together to develop the principle component transformations or
something similar, during which time their output would indicate nothing of
value. If the underlying incremental presumption is true (wouldn't sound
math suggest it to be false?!), then a sort of "derivative" with respect to
time of PCA or K-means must be developed, to show how neurons should change
second-by-second as they learn. More fun with matrix algebra.

3.  OK, I seem to be right back where I started - still looking for someone
who lives and breathes matrix math, and yet still speaks enough English for
us mere mortals to be able to communicate with. The problem (as I see it) is
one of perverse notation and/or orthogonal complexity, where people
manipulate matrix operators without really relating to what is happening
underneath. Only this way could K-means remain separate from PCA for so
long. Where is the idiot savant who could transform this field?

So, in answer to your question, no, it is NOT settled, though this may move
it to the next chapter in its development. Perhaps my predicted coming CS
"Theory of Everything" needs a more descriptive title, but I still see it
just sitting there waiting for some matrix math gurus to unravel and publish
(in plain English) the methods to converge the now disparate fields of AI,
NN, Compression, and Encryption.

Steve Richfield