Ben Goertzel wrote:

Well, there may have been a lot of trial and error in figuring out which local, binary 2D CA rule would give rise to complex patterns (though I feel pretty confident it was clever-intuition-guided trial and error, not true random search...), but

1) the idea to look at that particular class of local, binary 2D CA rules in the first place

2) the idea that a 2D local binary CA rule giving rise to apparently complex patterns would actually give rise to Turing-complete behaviors

were guided by Conway's excellent intuition into this particular class of complex systems. Basically, his intuition told him where to look, and then finding the actual rule was a sort of "parameter tuning" in a fairly small discrete space.

So I think this is a pretty good example of someone designing an interesting complex system via

* coming up with the basic system design using an intuitive understanding

* setting the parameters of the system via intelligently-guided trial and error

However, one thing that wasn't done here was to try to create a system that depends relatively smoothly rather than extremely sensitively on the parameter values (in this case the "parameter" being the local rule).

This is amazing: you just wrote down a whole bunch of speculations, pulled out of thin air, without a shred of evidence for any of them.

First, where is your evidence that Conway used "clever-intuition-guided trial and error, not true random search"? Are there any publications that make this claim? Are just guessing that he might have done?

[Note, BTW, that this is almost impossible to prove: his goal was to find a CA that had the right balance between life and death, so how would you tell the difference between Conway having an intuition about a good place to look, and the possibility that there are lots of solutions out there, and he just blundered into one of them?]

Second, you say that "the idea to look at that particular class of local, binary 2D CA rules in the first place" was "guided by Conway's excellent intuition into this particular class of complex systems". really? He looked non-binary CA rules as well. And how do you know he didn't just try the simplest things first, and it turns out that there are sufficiently many solutions that he blundered into one of them by accident (cf previous paragraph)? This is just your guess, unsupported by any evidence, and perhaps even not provable even in principle!

Third, you say that "the idea that a 2D local binary CA rule giving rise to apparently complex patterns would actually give rise to Turing-complete behaviors" was also "guided by Conway's excellent intuition into this particular class of complex systems". I know of no evidence that Conway ever intended to make a system that could be used to implement a Turing machine: do you know that he did? And, in any case, is it not common knowledge, now, that vast numbers of CA can be used to build Turning machines? Didn't Wolfram set up a competition to see who could find the simplest CA that yields Turing-completeness? So it appears that if you just start building CA at random, you can make something that is Turing complete.

Third, you say "Basically, his intuition told him where to look, and then finding the actual rule was a sort of "parameter tuning" in a fairly small discrete space." Again, this is nothing but Ben Goertzel's speculation. Where is the evidence that he "knew where to look"?

Then, after all of this speculation pulled out of nowhere, you come to the conclusion that:

> ... this is a pretty good example of someone designing an
> interesting complex system via
>
> * coming up with the basic system design using an intuitive
> understanding
>
> * setting the parameters of the system via intelligently-guided trial
> and error

You have established no such thing! I am truly impressed by your nerve though.

Give me some evidence!  :-)

Hypothesi non fingo, remember....

Richard Loosemore