Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>What if the utility of the state decreases the longer that you are in it
>>>(something that is *very* true of human
>> beings)?
>> If you are aware of the passage of time, then you are not staying in the
>> same state.
>
>I have to laugh.  So you agree that all your arguments don't apply to
>anything that is aware of the passage of time?  That makes them really
>useful, doesn't it.

No, the state of ultimate bliss that you, I, and all other rational, goal
seeking agents seek is a mental state in which nothing perceptible happens.
Without thought or sensation, you would be unaware of the passage of time, or
of anything else. If you are aware of time then you are either not in this
state yet, or are leaving it.

You may say that is not what you want, but only because you are unaware of the
possibilities of reprogramming your brain. It is like being opposed to drugs or
wireheading. Once you experience it, you can't resist.

 -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]