> In my book the first thing you do is sort out your definitions.  Then you
> do the math.  Not the other way around.

Historically, in the evolution of math, definitions and theorems have
generally evolved together.  The right definitions are the ones that lead to
the interesting theorems.

> Sadly, the very existence of the mathematical apparatus that Goertzel
> proposes will serve to disguise the fact that all of our attention, right
> now, should be directed at the insecure foundations.  In the literature as a
> whole, the concept of a "goal" is bandied about as if everyone understood
> that this was a moderately well-defined concept.  In fact it is anything
> but.  It is all well and good to have philosophical discussions in which we
> take a kind of Turing-esque, hands-off approach and say that a goal is just
> what a "reasonably smart guy" would judge to be a goal, but this kind of
> philosophical handwaving is not going to cut the mustard if real systems
> need to be designed to do real intelligent things.

I don't think that this kind of foundational theorizing about goals and
self-modification is necessary in any way for AGI design.  However, it may
ultimately be useful for studying or statistically predicting the behavior
of AGI's, tuning their goal systems, etc.

> We still await a calculus of goals and motivation that is founded on basic
> concepts that are not defined in terms of subjective observers or homunculi.

I could get rid of the explicit subjectivity in that definition if it
bothers you ...

Just define an **implicit goal** of a system S over a time period T as a
function f so that: the proposition "S approximately optimizes f" is a
pattern in the system S's trajectory over time period T.

There is still subjectivity here behind the scenes though, because the
definition of "what is a pattern" relies on some measure of simplicity ...
which basically  means relying on some "reference universal Turing machine"
as in classical CS theory.

Maybe it's more elegant to talk about reference UTM's than observers, but
ultimately it's the same story ... I just chose to write that paragraph of
that essay w/out referring to any particular formalism..

If you don't accept definitions involving reference UTM's, you've got to
throw out most of theoretical CS ... which  might please you, but not me ;-)

ben g