On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Terren Suydam wrote:
> I think a similar case could be made for a lot of large open source
> projects such as Linux itself. However, in this case and others, the
> software itself is the result of a high-level super goal defined by
> one or more humans. Even if no single person is directing the
> subgoals, the supergoal is still well defined by the ostensible aim
> of the software. People who contribute align themselves with that
> supergoal, even if not directed explicitly to do so. So it's not
> exactly self-organized, since the supergoal is conceived when the
> software project was first instantiated and stays constant, for the
> most part.

Hm, that's interesting, because I see just the opposite re: the
existence of supergoal alignment. What happens is that people write
code, and if people figure out ways to make use of it, they do, and
these use functions aren't regulated by some top-down management
process.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html