From: Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [agi] Case-by-case Problem Solving (draft)
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 8:51 PM

Ben,

I'm only saying that CPS seems to be loosely
equivalent to wicked, ill-structured problem-solving, (the reference to
convergent/divergent (or crystallised vs fluid) etc is merely to point out a
common distinction in psychology between two kinds of intelligence that Pei
wasn't aware of in the past - which is actually loosely equivalent to the
distinction between narrow AI and general AI problemsolving).

In the end, what Pei is/isn't aware of in terms of
general knowledge, doesn't matter much -  don't you think that his
attempt to do without algorithms IS v. important? And don't you think any
such attempt would be better off  referring explicitly to the
literature on wicked, ill-structured problems?

I don't think that pointing all this out is silly
- this (a non-algorithmic approach to CPS/wicked/whatever) is by far
the most important thing currently being discussed here - and potentially, if
properly developed, revolutionary.. Worth getting excited about,
no?

(It would also be helpful BTW to discuss the
"wicked" literature because it actually has abundant examples of wicked
problems
- and those, you must admit, are rather hard to come by here ).

Ben: TITLE: Case-by-case Problem Solving (draft)

AUTHOR: Pei
Wang

But
    you seem to be reinventing the term for wheel. There is an extensive
    literature, including AI stuff, on "wicked, ill-structured" problems,
     (and even "nonprogrammed decisionmaking"  which won't, I suggest,
    be replaced by "case-by-case PS". These are well-established terms.
     You similarly seemed to be unaware of the v. common distinction
    between convergent & divergent problem-solving.

Mike, I have to say I find this mode of discussion fairly
  silly..

Pei has a rather comprehensive knowledge of AI and a strong
  knowledge of cog-sci as well.   It is obviously not the case that he is
  unaware of these terms and ideas you are referring to.

Obviously, what
  he means by "case-by-case problem solving" is NOT the same as "nonprogrammed
  decisionmaking" nor "divergent problem-solving."

In his paper, he is
  presenting a point of view, not seeking to compare this point of view to the
  whole corpus of literature and ideas that he has absorbed during his
  lifetime.

I happen not to fully agree with Pei's thinking on these
  topics (though I like much of it), but I know Pei well enough to know that
  those. places where his thinking diverges from mine, are *not* due to
  ignorance of the literature on his
part...

      agi | Archives

 | Modify