The difficult part is not understanding what credit default swaps are, but
figuring out how to *value* them.

This involves complex math which can only be done via computer simulations
and numerical-analysis calculations ... and experts don't really agree on
the right assumptions to make in doing these simulations/calculations

So, part of the reason the banks can't unload these financial instruments
right now is that no one can really agree on what they're worth ... because
the current world financial situation lies outside the scope of assumptions
that have generally been made when doing the relevant valuation
calculations.  The financial world has not yet gone through the process of
agreeing on how to value these financial instruments in a global economic
regime like this one ... and going through this process will take at least
months ... and in that time a real crisis could erupt ... so the US gov't
may simply buy the financial instruments at a best-guess price and hope for
the best ;-p

ben

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>  Ben,
>
> Are CDS significantly complicated then - as an awful lot of professional,
> highly intelligent people are claiming?
>
> So can *you* understand credit default swaps?
>  Yes I can, having a PhD in math and having studied a moderate amount of
> mathematical finance ...

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson