Ben,

On 10/5/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmmm ... I doubt that a quick and dirty nontechnical

I would think that it should be technical, e.g. targeted for someone with a
CS degree, but written as though the reader had never heard of OpenCog.

> wiki page on opencogprime would help anyone much ... a decent nontechnical
> exposition of the ideas would require a lot of legwork in terms of
> presenting background material

Hasn't someone else done this on a web page somewhere that you could provide
a hyperlink to?

> and clarifying preliminary terms and ideas ...

You just need a BIG glossary. I once wrote a paper where the glossary was
much longer than the rest of the paper. There were several people who didn't
like what I had to say, but the glossary brought them up to speed on that
particular topic. Indeed, some medical topics are best written as 100%
glossary. I have seen this done, though the entries had to be presented out
of alphabetical order. I suggest bolding terms where their glossary entries
MUST be read and understood to get the meaning of the sentence.

> without that, discussion just bogs down on preliminary points and never
> even gets to the main unique aspects of the design (which is what usually
> happens in discussions of the design on this list ;-)

Exactly my point. Just provide some good references, write a comprehensive
glossary (note that it is OK to include phrases as well as words in your
glossary), and add to it as necessary, and just refer "preliminary point"
queries to the appropriate reference or glossary entry. In addition to doing
a better job of working together, I suspect that this would actually be less
work for you than the current process is.

BTW, my own thought is that nearly every part of AI is initially oversold,
falls short of its goals, but eventually finds a useful niche. For example,
POS tagging doesn't work for understanding real-world English (its initial
target), but it works GREAT for grammar checkers. Computers certainly could
and should be a LOT smarter. Hence, I expect to see useful developments come
from OpenCog, regardless of whether it ever evolves to become a part of an
AGI.

However, without a LOT of funding, I suspect that individual efforts may be
constrained to dealing with the smaller body of UNcommon knowledge, rather
than the MUCH larger body of common knowledge - hence my efforts on Dr.
Eliza. However, it could reasonably be argued that the lack of tools to
effectively gather common knowledge underlies and continues this phenomenon,
making mine a self-fulfilling prophesy. Hence, I find efforts like yours to
be very interesting, even though I am putting my own efforts in other
directions.

Steve Richfield