On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Brad Paulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, it has, in fact, been tried before.  It has, in fact, always failed.
> Your comments about the quality of Ben's approach are noted.  Maybe you're
> right.  But, it's not germane to my argument which is that those parts of
> Ben G.'s approach that call for human-level NLU, and that propose embodiment
> (or virtual embodiment) as a way to achieve human-level NLU, have been tried
> before, many times, and have always failed.  If Ben G. knows something he's
> not telling us then, when he does, I'll consider modifying my views.  But,
> remember, my comments were never directed at the OpenCog project or Ben G.
> personally.  They were directed at an AGI *strategy* not invented by Ben G.
> or OpenCog.

The OCP approach/strategy, both in crucial specifics of its parts and
particularly in its total synthesis, *IS* novel; I recommend a closer
re-examination!

The mere resemblance of some of its parts to past [failed] AI undertakings
is not enough reason to dismiss those parts, IMHO, dislike of embodiment or
NLU or any other aspect that has a GOFAI past lurking in the wings not
withstanding.

OTOH, I will happily agree to disagree on these points to save the AGI list
from going down in flames! ;-)

-dave