But, suppose you have two assemblies A and B, which have nA and nB neurons
respectively, and which overlap in O neurons...

It seems that the system's capability to distinguish A from B is going to
depend on the specific **weight matrix** of the synapses inside the
assemblies A and B, not just on the numbers nA, nB and O.

And this weight matrix depends on the statistical properties of the memories
being remembered.

So, these counting arguments you're trying to do are only going to give you
a very crude indication, anyway, right?

ben