From: Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [agi] constructivist issues
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 7:56 PM

I am a Peircean pragmatist ...

I have no objection to using infinities in mathematics ... they can certainly
be quite useful.  I'd rather use differential calculus to do calculations, than
do everything using finite differences.

It's just that, from a science perspective, these mathematical infinities have
to be considered finite formal constructs ... they don't existP except in this
way ...

I'm not going to claim the pragmatist perspective is the only subjectively
meaningful one.  But so far as I can tell it's the only useful one for science
and engineering...

To take a totally different angle, consider the thought X = "This is a thought
that is way too complex for me to ever have"

Can I actually think X?

Well, I can understand the *idea* of X.  I can manipulate it symbolically and
formally.  I can reason about it and empathize with it by analogy to "A thought
that is way too complex for my three-year-old past-self to have ever had" , and
so forth.

But it seems I can't ever really think X, except by being logically
inconsistent within that same thought ... this is the Godel limitation applied
to my own mind...

I don't want to diss the personal value of logically inconsistent thoughts.
But I doubt their scientific and engineering value.

-- Ben G