Also, I don't prefer to define "meaning" the way you do ... so clarifying
issues with your definition is your problem, not mine!!

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> What, then, do you make of my definition? Do you think deductive
> consequence is insufficient for meaningfulness?
>
> I am not sure exactly where you draw the line as to what is really
> meaningful (as in finite collections of finite statements about
> finite-precision measurements) and what is only indirectly meaningful
> by its usefulness (as in differential calculus). Perhaps any universal
> statements are only meaningful by usefulness?
>
> Also, it seems like when you say Godel's Incompleteness, you mean
> Tarski's Undefinability? (Can't let the theorems be misused!)
>
> About the theorem prover; yes, absolutely, so long as the mathematical
> entity is understandable by the definition I gave. Unfortunately, I
> still have some work to do, because as far as I can tell that
> definition does not explain how uncountable sets are meaningful...
> (maybe it does and I am just missing something...)
>
> --Abram
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> So, a statement is meaningful if it has procedural deductive meaning.
> >> We *understand* a statement if we are capable of carrying out the
> >> corresponding deductive procedure. A statement is *true* if carrying
> >> out that deductive procedure only produces more true statements. We
> >> *believe* a statement if we not only understand it, but proceed to
> >> apply its deductive procedure.
> >
> > OK, then according to your definition, Godel's Theorem says that if
> humans
> > are computable there are some things that we cannot understand ... just
> > as, for any computer program, there are some things it can't understand.
> >
> > It just happens that according to your definition, a computer system can
> > understand some fabulously uncomputable entities.  But there's no
> > contradiction
> > there.
> >
> > Just like a human can, a digital theorem prover can "understand" some
> > uncomputable entities in the sense you specify...
> >
> > ben g

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert Heinlein