It seems to me that many people think that embodiment is very important for
AGI.

For instance some people seem to believe that you can't be a good
mathematician if you haven't made some embodied experience.

But this would have a rather strange consequence:

If you give your AGI a difficult mathematical problem to solve, then it
would answer:

"Sorry, I still cannot solve your problem, but let me walk with my body
through the virtual world.

Hopefully, I will then understand your mathematical question end even more
hopefully I will be able to solve it after some further embodied
experience."

AGI is the ability to solve different problems in different domains. But
such an AGI would need to make experiences in domain d1 in order to solve
problems of domain d2. Does this really make sense, if every information
necessary to solve problems of d2 is in d2? I think an AGI which has to make
experiences in d1 in order to solve a problem of domain d2 which contains
everything to solve this problem is no AGI. How should such an AGI know what
experiences in d1 are necessary to solve the problem of d2?

In my opinion a real AGI must be able to solve a problem of a domain d
without leaving this domain if in this domain there is everything to solve
this problem.

>From this we can define a simple benchmark which is not sufficient for AGI
but which is *necessary* for a system to be an AGI system:

Within the domain of chess there is everything to know about chess. So if it
comes up to be a good chess player

learning chess from playing chess must be sufficient. Thus, an AGI which is
not able to enhance its abilities in chess from playing chess alone is no
AGI.

Therefore, my first steps in the roadmap towards AGI would be the following:

1.       Make a concept for your architecture of your AGI

2.       Implement the software for your AGI

3.       Try if your AGI is able to become a good chess player from learning
in the domain of chess alone.

4.       If your AGI can't even learn to play good chess then it is no AGI
and it would be a waste of time to make experiences with your system in more
complex domains.

-Matthias