ideas.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary;jsessionid=5E238B3B3E62E2AF7151EF8B31599E4D?doi=10.1.1.92.3260

  ICBS SEMINAR
  Friday, November 7, 2008
  11:am - 12:30 pm
  5101 Tolman Hall

         Michael Spivey, Department of Cognitive Science, UC Merced

  "Continuous Temporal Dynamics in Real-time Cognition"

  Rather than a sequence of logical operations performed on discrete symbols,
real-time cognition is better described as continuously changing patterns of
neuronal activity.  The continuity in these dynamics indicates that, in between
describable states of mind, much of our mental activity does not lend itself to
the linguistic labels relied on by much of psychology.  I will discuss
eye-tracking and computer-mouse-tracking evidence for this temporal continuity
in spoken word recognition, sentence comprehension, categorization, and even
decision-making.  I will also provide geometric visualizations of mental
activity depicted as a continuous trajectory through a neuronal state space.
In this theoretical framework, close visitations of labeled attractors may
constitute word recognition events and object recognition events, but the
majority of the mental trajectory traverses unlabeled regions of state space,
resulting in multifarious mixtures of mental states.

  For more about  ICBS: http://icbs.berkeley.edu/

  ---

  Josephine O'Shaughnessy -Human Resources
  Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute (HWNI)
  3210F Tolman Hall  MC 3192
  University of California, Berkeley
  Berkeley, CA 94720
  ph  (510) 643-1274