I just want to note that there is no real distinction btw
continuous-variable models like this as typically used, and computable,
Turing-machine-type models.

For instance, biologists do detailed simulations of the continuous variables
underlying neural activity, on digital computers.  And nonlinear
continuous-variable equations are normally solved using computational
algorithms.

In principle, the real number line contains uncomputable numbers.  In every
single practical application, these are irrelevant, and one could ignore
them and use only a finite set of numbers instead.

I outlined the detailed reasons why this is the case, in a recent blog post
that was already discussed on this list,

http://multiverseaccordingtoben.blogspot.com/2008/10/are-uncomputable-entities-useless-for.html

-- Ben G

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>  This is interesting because it challenges the discrete, stepped, Turing
> machine conception of thought with a continuous dynamics model. {If anyone
> knows of more stuff along these lines, I'd be v. interested]. Here's a pdf
> of Spivey's ideas.
>

> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary;jsessionid=5E238B3B3E62E2AF7151EF8B31599E4D?doi=10.1.1.92.3260
>

> *ICBS SEMINAR
> Friday, November 7, 2008
> **11:am - 12:30 pm
> 5101 Tolman Hall
> *
>      *  Michael Spivey, **Department of Cognitive Science, UC Merced
> *
>
> *"Continuous Temporal Dynamics in Real-time Cognition"*
> **
>
> Rather than a sequence of logical operations performed on discrete symbols,
> real-time cognition is better described as continuously changing patterns of
> neuronal activity.  The continuity in these dynamics indicates that, in
> between describable states of mind, much of our mental activity does not
> lend itself to the linguistic labels relied on by much of psychology.  I
> will discuss eye-tracking and computer-mouse-tracking evidence for this
> temporal continuity in spoken word recognition, sentence comprehension,
> categorization, and even decision-making.  I will also provide geometric
> visualizations of mental activity depicted as a continuous trajectory
> through a neuronal state space.  In this theoretical framework, close
> visitations of labeled attractors may constitute word recognition events and
> object recognition events, but the majority of the mental trajectory
> traverses unlabeled regions of state space, resulting in multifarious
> mixtures of mental states.
>

> For more about  ICBS: http://icbs.berkeley.edu/
>

> ---
> Josephine O'Shaughnessy -Human Resources
> Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute (HWNI)
> 3210F Tolman Hall  MC 3192
> University of California, Berkeley
> Berkeley, CA 94720
> ph  (510) 643-1274
> fax: off-campus (510) 666-2593
> fax: on-campus 6-2593

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert Heinlein