Ben,

I don't understand what difference B) makes -  or how it would affect the
objection that current approaches are discrete, stepped  vs the dynamic,
continuous reality of conscious processing.

(My own take would be that current computers can't handle the movie of
consciousness - although at times they appear to come close - they pretty
clearly represent only one half at best of a complete brain/mind.  And logic
and mathematics are clearly opposed to and different from the visual & other
arts, and again pretty clearly represent only one half of the "two cultures".
One should add that these two halves are not just opposed but complementary and
interdependent. Such conflicted, divided design BTW is absolutely fundamental
to biological design - from the brain to muscles to the autonomic nervous
system. It would be strange if invention, especially in the coming decade of
video doesn't take a cue from nature to develop sophisticated analogical as
well as digital computers)
  Ben:
  Well, you need to distinguish between

  A) "the contemporary, von Neumann computer as a metaphor"

  and

  B) "the abstract, mathematical computer as a theoretical framework"

  These are really quite different things ...

  -- Ben G