Hi,

First a note of clarification: although I am speaking at Convergence08 and
know some of the organizers, I have had no role in the organization of that
conference.

Also, a comment for Ben J: the emerging AGI community and the futurist
community are largely disjoint though there is some minor overlap such as
me....  In general, though, I think balancing openness with
quality-maintenance is actually a hard job once you're in the position of
organizing conferences and journals and such.  Personally, having been an
outsider in nearly every social context I've ever been in, my bias is
generally toward openness.

Second: I checked http://convergence08.pbwiki.com/Speaker+Sign+Up and your
suggested talk is up there along with everybody else's.

As for whether whomever-it-was was right to freeze your wiki privileges in
response to your posting on the conference wiki in an appropriate way (given
that you didn't know the rules of appropriateness in this context), I really
can't say since I wasn't privy to the full exchange between you and them.

Anyway, to keep things simple, how about this: if you email me a link to an
external website pertinent to your conference session, I'll just log onto
that wiki and insert it into the box corresponding to your talk.  That would
seem to solve the practical problem that you want people to be able to find
out the material about your talk beforehand.

Finally, an unsolicited piece of advice is that your conference topic from
the wiki

************

1.  Personal experience with a new procedure to greatly enhance human
intelligence.

2.  Demo of Dr.Eliza: A new approach to solving society's most difficult
problems.

3.  Processors that are 10,000 times faster, made on existing silicon fab
lines.

4.  A scanning UV fluorescence microscope would revolutionize AGI, NN, and
whole brain emulation.

5.  Technological censorship. It is ubiquitous, even here. It is
an invisible emergent property.

*************

seems like too many different topics for one brief presentation, to me.
Even excepting the fifth topic, it seems like each of the first 4 topics, if
you really have something substantive to say about it, could easily occupy a
whole presentation.  One approach might be to give a presentation on Dr.
Eliza (I picked that one up because you say you have a demo) and just hand
out brochures on the other ones to interested parties, including the people
at the Dr. Eliza talk.  If you want me to paste some modified text up there
for you I could do that too.

It would be possible for me to pester the people involved about why they
banned you from the wiki and so forth, but I really don't feel like I have
much time to deal with these matters, which aren't strictly my own
business.  But you can make use of the above offer of small assistance if
you like.

ben g

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Benjamin Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Rather than assuming idiocy, censorship or ill intent; why not give them
> the benefit of the doubt?
>

> Maybe they felt that offering anybody the chance to sign up as a speaker
> with "a session title, your name, a link to your bio or website, and perhaps
> a picture of you" was enough. You have complete freedom to publish whatever
> you like at your own website. Using a conference *organization* website
> (rather than linking to your homepage) to discuss the particulars of your
> work would strike me as rather "spammy" (especially given that it isn't
> normal at other unconference wikis); the best way to deal with spammers is
> usually just to delete, ignore, move on, and not waste time with them.
>

> While my impressions are that AGI is not (yet) taken particularly seriously
> in the established AI community, I have been pleasantly surprised with how
> well it has actually been received so far. I certainly see no censorship –
> sure, there's some scepticism about whether this might not just be history
> repeating itself, but I think there's also a lot of optimism,
> open-mindedness and hope from those in the established AI community who look
> in. The best way to be taken seriously is to play by the established rules
> of the game (whether the rules are implicit or explicit), and win.
>

> -Ben (but presumably not the "Ben" of the original message's addressees)

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert Heinlein