Ben,

On 11/5/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> As I explained, I am on fence here. In physics, a theoretical
>> physicist clearly identifies the unproven assumptions, and experimental
>> physicists get right onto testing those assumptions.
>>

> This isn't really true though.  For instance string theory is controversial
> because no one really knows how to use it to make experimental predictions
> about anything currently  measurable...

In part this very test is behind the Billions of dollars (don't you wish
that we had that kind of money) being spent on the new CERN accelerator.
They hope and sort of expect to see some evidence when the thing gets up to
full power.

>>  Further, they all work in the same Physics Building on the University,
>> talk things over with each over in the coffee room, etc. It is EXTREMELY
>> rare for someone like Einstein to figure something important out in a vacuum
>> (no pun intended).
>>

> Hmmm... the Institute for Advanced Study has no lab, for instance ...

I once visited Seppo Sari, a PhD physicist friend who was doing work there.
I saw with my own eyes his, the world's first variable-frequency tunable
laser. Seppo went on to bigger things, including working on the Star Wars
free electron laser at Boeing (hint, they are NOT free at all, but are
rather expensive), Stealth paint, etc. There were many other such
experiments in the basement there - a VERY impressive place to visit.

Anyway, experimental physics is very much alive and well there - you just
have to go into the basement to see it. They also have offices at other
experimental facilities, including CERN mentioned above.

>> In summary, I completely agree that we need theoretical people. However,
>> once a theory is on the table you simply can't stop there. If you know
>> something/anything new about aging, there is probably someone out there
>> whose life you could easily save (at least for a few years) with that
>> knowledge. If no such person exists, then your "knowledge" is probably
>> situated within some useless paradigm. In short, at least with longevity,
>> there is simply no excuse for not trying things out, as there is certainly
>> no shortage of experimental subjects.
>>

> To me that's like saying: "if you know something/anything new about energy,
> there is probably some way you can make a better power plant with that
> knowledge."

Probably, though not always true. Certainly, early discoveries quickly led
to our present energy-based society, and Tesla's attempts to make broadcast
energy work quickly put that concept out of our collective misery.

 But science doesn't work that way....  It can be a long path from
> theoretical understanding to practical application, involving many people...

Sometime though not always true. In any case, it doesn't do much good to
build a grand theory based on erroneous models and observations, which is
where this discussion started. Right now I am able to do many of the very
same things, affecting the very same mechanisms, that Aubrey hopes to be
able to do in coming decades with esoteric technology that no one has any
idea how to do. The fact that I do this with SUCH pedestrian methods seems
to be exasperating to everyone.

Mapping this into your space, this is akin to my statements:

1.  That manually applying Reverse Reductio ad Absurdum methods to
intractable disputes will meet or exceed anything that any future AGI might
accomplish, or

2.  That trivial AI like Dr. Eliza can solve difficult problems that, for
many subtle reasons (what difficulty tells us about problem structure,
etc.), are at the very outer reaches of the hopes for AGIs.

My point here is NOT that AGIs are a waste of time and electricity, but
rather that some people (I don't think you are one of them) are targeting
the wrong applications.

 Anyway this is getting way off-topic for the AGI list..

Note the subject line - OT for Off Topic, so that people who wish to stay on
topic can simply skip over these postings. I suspect that good netiquette
will solve most/all of the prior complaints about postings here, and who
better to start this than me?! I also suspect that many of the members here
are NOT reading this thread because it has OT on it.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you at Convergence08. I'd gladly trade
a dinner for a "cooks tour" of Novamente, et al. Perhaps others here would
like to be in on this.

Steve Richfield