"consciousness" refers to too many competing concepts to be of value in
analytical discourse.

It's an umbrella term that invokes, depending on the context, some combination
of the following concepts: subjective experience, awareness, attention,
self-awareness, self-reflectivity, intention (will), and certainly others I
can't think of at the moment.

If we ask whether a dog has consciousness, that question can mean a dozen
things to a dozen people. Better is to ask if a dog has subjective experience,
if it is aware, if it can pay attention, if it is self-aware, if it is
self-reflective, if it can exercise will. These are all different questions,
and more useful because we can talk with some precision.

btw, I'm not proposing these sub-concepts in any formal way, just as one
possible way (of many) to break down "consciousness" into more useful
sub-concepts.

I would be in favor of abolishing the word "consciousness" from analytical
discourse because of its total lack of precision.

Terren