Conciousness is akin to the phlogiston theory in chemistry.  It is likely a
shadow concept, similar to how the bodily reactions make us feel that the heart
is the seat of emotions.  Gladly, cardiologist and heart surgeons do not look
for a spirit, a soul, or kindness in the heart muscle.  The brain organ need
not contain anything beyond the means to effect physical behavior,.. and
feedback as to those behavior.

A finite degree of sensory awareness serves as a suitable replacement for
consciousness, in otherwords, just feedback.

Would it really make a difference if we were all biological machines, and our
perceptions were the same as other animals, or other "designed" minds; more so
if we were in a simulated existence.  The search for consciousness is a
misleading (though not entirely fruitless) path to AGI.