On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM, John G. Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>there are many computer systems now, domain specific intelligent ones where
>their life is more
important than mine. Some would say that the battle is already lost.

For now, it's not really your life (or interest) vs the system's life
(or interest). It's rather your life (or interest) vs lives (or
interests) of people the system protects/supports. Our machines still
work for humans. At least it still seems to be the case ;-)). If we
are stupid enough to develop very powerful machines without equally
powerful safety controls then we (just like many other species) are
due for extinction for adaptability limitations.

Regards,
Jiri Jelinek