Dear Matt,
Try running yourself with empirical results instead of metabelief (belief about belief). You'll get someplace .i.e. you'll resolve the inconsistencies. When inconsistencies are *testably *absent, no matter how weird the answer, it will deliver maximally informed choices. Not facts. Facts will only ever appear differently after choices are made. This too is a fact...which I have chosen to make choices about. :-) If you fail to resolve your inconsistency then you are guaranteeing that your choices are minimally informed. Tricky business, science: an intrinsically dynamic process in which choice is the driver (epistemic state transition) and the facts (the epistemic state) are forever transitory , never certain. You can only make so-called facts certain by failing to choose. Then they lodge in your brain (and nowhere else) like dogma-crud between your teeth, and the rot sets in. The plus side - you get to be 100% right. Personally I'd rather get real AGI built and be testably wrong a million times along the way.
cheers,
colin hales