Matt Mahoney wrote:
> If you don't define consciousness in terms of an objective test, then
> you can say anything you want about it.

We don't entirely disagree about that. An objective test is absolutely
crucial. I believe where we disagree is that I expect there to be such a
test one day, while you claim there can never be.

(I say "don't /entirely/ agree" because I think we can talk about things
that are not completely defined -- in this case, I believe most people
reading this do know the subjective feeling of consciousness and
recognize that that's what I mean. A scientific exploration requires a
more thorough definition, but we can still have some meaningful
discourse without it, though we do risk running off into wildly
unsubstantiated theories when we do.)