Bringing this back to the earlier discussion, What could be happening, not
to say that it is provably happening but there certainly is no evidence
(that I know of) against it, is the following, with probabilities
represented internally by voltages that are proportional to the logarithm of
the probability: External representation varies, e.g. spike rate for spiking
neurons

Dendritic trees could be a sort of Bayesian AND, and the neurons themselves
could be a sort of Bayesian OR of the dendrites. If each dendrite were
completely unrelated to the others, e.g. one computed some aspect of "tree",
another some aspect of "sweet", another some aspect of "angry", etc., then
the dendrites on other neurons could easily assemble whatever they needed,
with lots of other extraneous things OR'd onto the inputs. This sounds like
a mess, but it works. Consider: Any one individual thing only occurs rarely.
If not, it will be differentiated until it is rare. Additive noise on the
inputs of a Bayesian AND only affects the output when ALL of the other
inputs are non-zero. When these two rare events happen simultaneously,
whatever the dendrite is looking for and another event that adds to one of
its inputs, the output will be slightly increased. How slight? It appears
that CNS (Central Nervous System) neurons have ~50K synapses, of which ~200
have efficacies >0 at any one time. Hence, noise might contribute ~1% to the
output - too little to be concerned much about.

Why evolve such a convoluted system? Because cells are MUCH more expensive
than dendrites or synapses. By having a cell handle aspects of many
unrelated things while other cells are doing the same, and ANDing them as
needed, the cell count is minimized. Also, such systems are impervious to
minor damage, cells dying, etc.

Certainly, having a "tree" cell would only help if there were SO many uses
of exactly the same meaning of tree that it would be efficient to do all of
the ANDing in one place. However, a cell doing this could also do the same
for other unrelated things at the same time, bringing us back to the theory.
Hence, until I hear something to deny this theory, I am presuming it to be
correct.

OK, so why isn't this well known? Consider:
1.  The standards for publication of laboratory results are MUCH tighter
than in other areas. If they don't have proof, then they don't publish.
Hence, if you don't know someone who knows about CNS dendrites, you won't
even have anything to think about.
2.  As Loosemore pointed out, the guys in the lab do NOT have
skills applicable to cognitive, mathematical, or other key areas that the
very cells that they are studying are functioning in.

Flashback: I had finally tracked down an important article about observed
synaptic transfer functions and its author in person. Also present was
William Calvin, the neuroscience author who formerly had a laboratory at the
U of Washington. Looking over the functions in the article, I started to
comment on what they might be doing mathematically, whereupon the author
interjected that they had already found functions that fit very closely that
they has used as a sort of spline, which weren't anything at all like the
functions I was looking for. I noted that it appeared to me that both
functions produced almost identical results over the observed range, but
mine was derived from mathematical necessity while the ones the author used
as a spline just happened to fit well. The author then asked why even bother
looking for another function that fits after you already have one. At that
point, in exasperation, Calvin took up my side of the discussion, and after
maybe 15 minutes of discussion with the author while I sat quietly and
watched, the author FINALLY understood that these neurons do something in
the real world, and if you have a theory about what that might be, then you
must look at the difference between predicted and actual results to
confirm/deny that theory. Later when I computer-generated points to compare
with the laboratory results, they were spot-on to within measurement
accuracy.

Anyway, this seems to be a good working theory for how our wet engine works,
but it doesn't seem to provide much to help Ben, because inside a computer,
public variables don't cost thousands of times as much as a binary operator,
instead, they are actually cheaper. Hence, there is no reason to combine
unrelated things into what is equivalent to a public variable.

However, this all suggests that attention should be concentrated on
adjectives rather than nouns, adverbs instead of verbs, etc. I noticed this
when hand coding rules for Dr. Eliza - that the modifiers seemed to be much
more important than the referents.

Maybe this hint from wetware will help someone.

Steve Richfield