Aleksei

Thanks for the link.  It is interesting.

Before I started hearing estimates for how common exoplanets were, I thought
visits from aliens were a possibility, because I like to have an open mind,
but an extremely small one.  Now I believe it is a large enough probability
that any honest, open-minded person, who is astronomically and
technologically reasonably informed, has to consider it sufficiently
probable that it deserves thought.

The article your link pointed to reinforces that thinking.

I disagree with the argument in "The Speed-of-Light Limit Argument," in the
left window of the web page, that if aliens could travel no faster than the
speed of light, the chance and/or frequencies that they would visit us would
be very small.

That is because, alien civilizations might have achieved their respective
singularity millions or billions of years ago, and with the resultant
technology learned how to live and multiply themselves and their supporting
technology exponentially in galactic space, so that they would have had more
than enough time traveling at sub-C speeds to populate most of the habitable
parts of our galaxy.

Wikipedia says the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across, and on average
1000 light years thick (other source say it is about 10 times thicker).  The
would give a volume of roughly 2.5 Trillion cubic light years.  I seems
reasonable to assumes any advanced, million-years-post-singularity space
civilization would be capable of building arrays of extremely large
space-based telescopes, each many miles in diameter.  If such an array could
search for substantially all possibly habitable planets within a 750 light
year radius, based first on very accurate measurements of the wobbles of
stars, and then from spectrographic information from the light reflected off
such planets, themselves --- then it would only take roughly 250,000 such
telescope arrays spread throughout the galaxy to check out the entire galaxy
for likely habitable planets, since each such telescope could check out one
billion cubic light years, each having roughly 8 million stars to monitor in
one assumes stars average being 5 million light years appart.

As I said, the real interest of this discussion to this AGI list, is that
human development of AGI might well affect the alien's attitude toward us
--- if they exist and if they are monitoring us --- because it would mean we
would be at the start of a rapid technological development that would mean
we could become much more equal with them --- making us either more valuable
--- or more threatening --- to them.

Ed Porter