Note also,

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200308/000020030803A0129895.php

Jean Baptiste de Lamarck (1744-1829) maintained that characteristics
that were acquired during an organism's lifetime are passed on to its
offspring. This theory, known as Lamarckian inheritance, was later
completely discredited. However, recent progress in epigenetics
research suggests it needs to be reexamined in consideration of DNA
methylation. In this article, I summarize our observations, which
support Lamarckian inheritance. Initial experiments indicate that (1)
artificially induced demethylation of rice genomic DNA results in
heritable dwarfism, and (2) cold stress induces extensive
demethylation in somatic cells of the maize root. Based on these
results, I propose the hypothesis that traits that are acquired during
plant growth are sometimes inherited by their progeny through
persistent alteration of the DNA methylation status. (author abst.)

I wonder how this relates to adaptive mutagenesis

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1206667

which has been rather controversial

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/full/165/4/2319

ben

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that what these people:
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026845.000-memories-may-be-stored-on-your-dna.html
>

> are saying is that memories can be stored as changes in the DNA inside
> neurons?
>
> If so, that would upset a few apple carts.
>
> Would it mean that memories (including cultural adaptations) could be passed
> from mother to child?
>
> Implication for neuroscientists proposing to build a WBE (whole brain
> emulation):  the resolution you need may now have to include all the DNA in
> every neuron.  Any bets on when they will have the resolution to do that?
>

> Richard Loosemore

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx