2008/12/3 Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026845.000-memories-may-be-stored-on-your-dna.html
>
> are saying is that memories can be stored as changes in the DNA inside
> neurons?

No. They are saying memories might be stored as changes *on* the DNA.

Imagine a big long DNA molecule. It has little molecules attached to
bits of it, which regulate which genes are and aren't expressed.
That's how a cell knows it's a skin cell, or an eye cell or a liver
cell. Apparently the same mechanism is used in neurons are part of the
mechanism for laying down new memories.

> Would it mean that memories (including cultural adaptations) could be passed
> from mother to child?

No, for two reasons: (1) the DNA isn't being changed. (2) even if the
DNA was being changed, it isn't in the germ-line.

(Incidently, my understanding is[*] that DNA in various cells in the
mammalian immune system does change as the immune system evolves to
cope with infectious agents; but these changes aren't passed along to
the next generation.)

* if there are any molecular biologists reading, feel free to correct me.

--
Philip Hunt, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>