On Dec 26, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Ben Goertzel wrote:
Most compression tests are like defining intelligence as the ability to catch mice. They measure the ability of compressors to compress specific files. This tends to lead to hacks that are tuned to the benchmarks. For the generic intelligence test, all you know about the source is that it has a Solomonoff distribution (for a particular machine). I don't know how you could make the test any more generic.

IMO the test is *too* generic ... I don't think real-world AGI is mainly about being able to recognize totally general patterns in totally general datasets. I suspect that to do that, the best approach is ultimately going to be some AIXItl variant ... meaning it's a problem that's not really solvable using a real-world amount of resources. I suspect that all the AGI system one can really build are SO BAD at this general problem, that it's better to characterize AGI systems

An interesting question is which pattern subset if ignored would make the problem tractable.

J. Andrew Rogers