On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Nathan Cook <nathan.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about vibration? We have specialized mechanoreceptors to detect
> vibration (actually vibration and pressure - presumably there's processing
> to separate the two). It's vibration that lets us feel fine texture, via the
> stick-slip friction between fingertip and object.

Actually, letting beads vibrate at various frequencies would seem
perfectly reasonable ... and could lead to interesting behaviors in
sets of flexibly coupled beads.

I think this would be a good addition to the model, thanks!

> On a related note, even a very fine powder of very low friction feels
> different to water - how can you capture the sensation of water using beads
> and blocks of a reasonably large size?

The objective of a CogDevWorld such as BlocksNBeadsWorld is explicitly
**not** to precisely simulate the sensations of being in the real
world.

My question to you is: What important cognitive ability is drastically
more easily developable given a world that contains a distinction
between fluids and various sorts of bead-conglomerates?

-- Ben G