I think this sort of virtual world is an excellent idea.

I agree with Benjamin Johnston's idea of a unified object model where
everything consists of beads.

I notice you mentioned distributing the computation. This would
certainly be valuable in the long run, but for the first version I
would suggest having each simulation instance run on a single machine
with the fastest physics capable GPU on the market, and accepting that
it will still run slower than real time. Let an experiment be an
overnight run, and use multiple machines by running multiple
experiments at the same time. That would make the programming for the
first version more tractable.