Matt,

"Well little Matt, as your class teacher, in one sense this is quite clever of you. But you see, little Matt, when I gave you and the class that exercise, the idea was for you to show me what *you* could do - what you could produce from your own brain. I didn't mean you to copy someone else's flying house from a textbook. That's cheating Matt, - getting someone else to do the work for you - and we don't like cheats do we? So perhaps you can go away and draw a flying house all by yourself - a superduper one with lots of fabbo new bits that no one has ever drawn before, and all kinds of wonderful bells and whistles, that will be ten times better than that silly old foto. I know you can Matt, I have faith in you. And I know if you really, really try, you can understand the difference between creating your own drawing, and copying someone else's. Because, well frankly, Matt, every time I give you an exercise - ask you to write an essay, or tell me a story in your own words - you always, always copy from other people, even if you try to disguise it by copying from several people. Now that's not fair, is it Matt? That's not the American way. You have to get over this lack of confidence in yourself. "

Matt/Mike Tintner <tint...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Oh and just to answer Matt - if you want to keep doing
narrow AI, like everyone else, then he's right -
don't worry about it. Pretend it doesn't exist.
Compress things :).

Now, Mike, it is actually a simple problem.

1. Collect about 10^8 random photos (about what we see in a lifetime).

2. Label all the ones of houses, and all the ones of things flying.

3. Train an image recognition system (a hierarchical neural network, probably 3-5 layers, 10^7 neurons, 10^11 connections) to detect these two features. You'll need about 10^19 CPU operations, or about a month on a 1000 CPU cluster.

4. Invert the network by iteratively drawing images that activate these two features and work down the hierarchy. (Should be faster than step 3). When you are done, you will have a picture of a flying house.

Let me know if you have any trouble implementing this.

And BTW the first 2 steps are done.
http://images.google.com/images?q=flying+house&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=5&ct=title

-- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com