Actually, I just realized that there is a way to included inductive
knowledge and experience into this algorithm. Inductive knowledge and
experience about a specific object or object type can be exploited to know
which hypotheses in the past were successful, and therefore which hypothesis
is most likely. By choosing the most likely hypothesis first, we skip a lot
of messy hypothesis comparison processing and analysis. If we choose the
right hypothesis first, all we really have to do is verify that this
hypothesis reveals in the data what we expect to be there. If we confirm
what we expect, that is reason enough not to look for other hypotheses
because the data is explained by what we originally believed to be likely.
We only look for additional hypotheses when we find something unexplained.
And even then, we don't look at the whole problem. We only look at what we
have to to explain the unexplained data. In fact, we could even ignore the
unexplained data if we believe, from experience, that it isn't pertinent.

I discovered this because I'm analyzing how a series of hypotheses are
navigated when analyzing images. It seems to me that it is done very
similarly to way we do it. We sort of confirm what we expect and try to
explain what we don't expect. We try out hypotheses in a sort of trial and
error manor and see how each hypothesis affects what we find in the image.
If we confirm things because of the hypothesis, we are likely to keep it. We
keep going, navigating the tree of hypotheses, conflicts and unexpected
observations until we find a good hypothesis. Something like that. I'm
attempting to construct an algorithm for doing this as I analyze specific
problems.

Dave