On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Jonatan Kilhamn wrote:
> 2009/3/3 Alex Smith <ais...@bham.ac.uk>:

>>> Me too. What was the amend thing about anyway? As far as I see, the
>>> only thing that would happen if we voted it through, is that it
>>> wouldn't be Goethe that performed the arbitrary rule change to the
>>> rule, but rather the first player to react when it passed. If Goethe
>>> could get a win through is rule, then any player could just as easily
>>> do it with that one. Or have I got this wrong?
>>
>> It's because Goethe wouldn't dare give an arbitrary player a win, so if
>> the proposal I proposed passed, then Goethe wouldn't run whatever scam e
>> was planning to gain a dictatorship. Slightly unusual, I know. If it
>> said "repeal" instead, there's still a chance Goethe would force through
>> eir rule and gain a dictatorship by being faster than everyone else;
>> this way round, it avoids the problem in the first place. Slightly
>> unusual, but historical anti-scam methods have tended not to work; I
>> thought I'd try something more unusual.
>>
>> --
>> ais523
>> who is not really used to being an anti-scamster
>>

> Oh, I see. Clever indeed. Then again, as long as we suppose that eir
> scam involves forcing the rule through without a fair vote (which is
> pretty likely - I don't think anyone would vote for it) then e could
> probably perform the rest of the scam in the very same message, and
> afterwards repeal the rule.
> So yes, maybe "amend" is better than "repeal", but I don't see how any
> of them is really to be trusted.

ais523's "fix" is not to be trusted.  Read it.  "If a rule mentions
the possibility... that someone can modify the rules by announcement,
then someone can modify the rules by announcement."  If it passes,
whether or not mine succeeds, it mentions itself, and the first person
who gets the chance can trigger it.  -G.