Kerim Aydin wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Pavitra wrote:
>> Kerim Aydin wrote:
>>> And at what moment of time do we apply that and do the recordkeepors
>>> decide e is a non-player?  (Making em inactive etc. is different, that's
>>> us making em a non player whether or not e consents).
>>
>> In theory, it takes effect at the instant e applies eir act of will,
>> when e decides mentally that e has left. Pragmatically, I have no idea
>> how recordkeepors would find out. It's highly inconvenient and horribly
>> platonic, but it's nevertheless morally necessary.
>
> On a practical level, we could use our various precedents on "consent"
> with respect to contracts.  I believe where it stands is that, in
> order to determine consent, there must be evidence that consent was
> given that a judge can accept, so the timing of consent is determined
> from the first moment that such a record exists.
>
> However, it's worth pointing out that Rights are not violated by mild
> administrative inconveniences that exist for the good of the game.
> For example, there's a specific precedent that a dismissal due to
> an excess CFJ is not rights-violating, because it's a minor matter
> for the caller to re-call the case in the next week.  Similarly,
> requiring a public post to confirm the exercise of a right to leave
> is not rights-violating *unless* it is judged that fora are broken.
>
> It's also important to consider:  what does the right mean?  I do
> *not* believe the right exists to allow a current player to simply
> vanish without notice, for example neglecting officers' duties, and
> then later say "oh, I'd quit playing without telling you, so you
> can't punish me for failure to perform."  Rather, it's to protect
> confirmed (by their own published choice) non-player from accruing
> new duties and punishments.  But YMMV.

Note, though, that this may be nontrivial to re-attempt. A person who
deregisters can't deregister again for 30 days.

I would argue that a player that 101-leaves and later comes back
retroactively accepts eir back liabilities, as e has changed eir
decision to wholly ignore the game. This seems fair; it doesn't break
the right, it doesn't allow exploitation of the mechanisms of the rule;
and it resembles/matches the existing tradition of Fugitives.

(I just realized we missed the opportunity for a Notes+Fugitive=Fugue pun.)