On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:58 AM, ais523 <callforjudgem...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> This is a hugely problematic opinion. I don't think it's acceptable to
> break the rules of any game that you play voluntarily unless you want to
> quit the game permanently, criminal courts or not. As a result, what
> you're doing here effectively only penalises the honest; dishonest
> players will break the rules and take meaningless punishments, whereas
> honest players are effectively mousetrapped.

Well, I consider myself an honest player, but we significantly
disagree about what "breaking the rules" means in this kind of game.
For one thing, the punishments are only meaningless if you want to
quit the game permanently; otherwise they will get back to you when
you (try to) reregister.

> One solution to this might be to implement some sort of hard
> deregistration that is actually separate from the current time, with a
> massive timeout on rejoining, so that people can actually leave the game
> and no longer be bound by the rules.

This would satisfy both of us, but...

Hmm.  I guess this is just an extreme case of
MetagamingOrRoleplayingThesis.  In that case, there was some fuss over
the term "impeachment":

[
An "impeachment" is not seen as what it is in the rules of Agora (just
one of many ways to remove players from office, and one of the most
difficult ones at that) but interpreted similar to a procedure which
exists in the US American constitution, with a very different function
and purpose, but which happens to have the same name and some similar
results (removal from office) as the Agora procedure. Aspects like the
officer's personal integrity and honor are not connected to Agora
impeachments at all (it isn't even necessary to provide a reason for
an Agora impeachment); they are introduced into the Agora discussion
merely by the parallel with US politics.
]

In this case, "breaking the rules" is not seen as what it is in the
rules of Agora-- essentially, an action that costs a certain amount of
assets-- but interpreted as equivalent to cheating in another game.

And yet I agree with ais523 in that I don't willingly break the rules,
even if I can pay to burn the Rests... perhaps the difference is that
for ais523 this is an absolute in any game, while I wouldn't mind
switching to a more pragmatic style if societal opinion shifted such
that I wouldn't offend people with it.  I don't know, I'm too tired to
think straight.

--
-c.