On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> If the ballot wasn't accepted, by the facts of the time of sending, as clearly
> identifying the specific decision in question (among others), it shouldn't
> have
> been accepted as a valid ballot for that decision.  R683 is one of those
> places
> that by using "clearly identifying" we require that level of specificity.
> It's
> a straight-up requirement of being a ballot.

I could have voted FOR through blanket vote without even knowing the
proposal existed.  Indeed, before this message, I never actually
stated that I /did/ know it existed, although you might have guessed
it from my behavior.  Making whether a specific message is a public
acknowledgement depend on my state of mind at the time I sent it is
rather dangerous.

The difference is that, while, for Agoran purposes, my message-- every
message-- is parsed platonically with perfect knowledge of the
gamestate, "acknowledgement" only makes sense in the context of
incomplete knowledge-- in this case, basic knowledge of Agoran
terminology to parse the message, but not specific information on
proposals.

> You can't identify without
> acknowledging, and additionally, the only way to identify/acknowledge the
> decision is to identify/acknowledge the proposal (the decision has no other
> unique characteristics for identification purposes).

I can give you all my chits even if they have /no/ unique
characteristics for identification purposes.