On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM, ais523 <callforjudgem...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 17:13 -0700, omd wrote:
>> "an attempt to perform any Agoran action" is much more general than
>> "posting a message with the new ruleset".  In any 'normal' nomic, you
>> would not interpret a rule that says "posting a message with the new
>> ruleset" as meaning "posting any message (the message's text is the
>> new ruleset)", it's pathological; no reason to do so here, since there
>> is no reasonable alternate interpretation of rule 2.
>
> Oh, and another counterpoint: in any 'normal' nomic, I'd be more likely
> to make that interpretation (that rulesets can be arbitrary text), than
> to interpret posts on another nomic's forum as game actions in this
> nomic.

I don't disagree that they can be arbitrary text, but claim that
"posting a message with the new ruleset" requires the new ruleset to
be labeled as such, rather than meaning "posting any message", and
that the second rule is much more explicit about applying to arbitrary
messages.  (I suppose it's silly to be arguing about this when I or
anyone could just make a new, more explicit ruleset, but I think that
only a moron in a hurry would fail to see the intent of the text.)