On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 13:55 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> Because it's far too easy.
>
> For example, using the very first paradox as an example, it was realized
> that by playing a sequence of cards, a paradox would be created.  It
> turned out that at least three people independently discovered it and were
> quietly waiting to have the right cards to set it up, which made one of
> the cards desirable for otherwise unexplainable reasons.  It was Fun.
>
> If it had just been: "Hey, if I play XYZ cards it's a paradox, therefore
> I win", it's not really fun.
>
> Also, in some cases, the point of illegality is to stop someone from
> doing something for a win.  If the threat of illegality prevents
> someone from setting up a hypothetical; again, it's an effective
> block.

Oh, I see. I think the best fix would be to only allow hypothetical
actions that the initiator could perform in the current gamestate,
rather than hypothetical actions by anyone else or hypothetical
gamestate.

Perhaps you could word it in the form of promises, i.e. a win by paradox
would be if you had a promise (possibly/probably self-authored) that
would cause a paradox if cashed. That avoids gamestate damage, while
forcing the ability to actually set that damage up.

--
ais523