You'll have to forgive me if I say things which seem obvious -- please
remember that I've been away for 9 years and no longer know what is common
knowledge.

I think the most basic insight is that events (such things as making
proposals, voting, transferring units of whatever media of exchange are
defined by the Rules, the gain or loss of various legally relevant
properties, and so on) occur as the result of messages sent by persons (one
would like to say 'players', but there's registration to consider). As a
design principle, rules should not cause events to occur - the danger in
their doing so is that events occur without anyone noticing so that vast
swathes of game play can in retrospect seem to have been illegal. Instead,
well designed rules restrict themselves only to defining the permissions,
prohibitions and obligations on persons to send messages of various kinds.

The challenge for designing a terse and elegant initial ruleset for
mailing-list based play is to define 'event', 'message', 'send', 'publish',
'permit', 'require', 'prohibit', etc in the simplest and sparsest way.
Suber designed his Initial Set for over the table play, so these issues
simply never came up for him. That is why initial rulesets based largely on
his initial set are actually very poorly designed for mailing-list based
play.

--
Steve Gardner
Research Grants Development

Two facts about lists:
(1) one can never remember the last item on any list;
(2) I can't remember what the other one is.