On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM, omd <c.ome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Matt Berlin <arkes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> An Elder is a first-class player who has been registered continuously for
>>> at least 32 days
>>
>> Future Perfect Progressive Tense ( ie, happened in the past, is still going
>> on, and may continue in the future) requires the present participle of the
>> verb.   I don't think "registered" would work for this ( has been
>> registering doesn't make sense).
>
> That's not what the future perfect progressive tense is...

The future perfect progressive isn't even a tense, as the perfect,
progressive, and perfect progressive are technically all aspects. (The
future is debatable; some English syntacticians claim it as a tense,
mostly because that's what it is in most other European languages,
while others opine that future time is something conveyed in a purely
semantic manner and that the auxiliary verbs "will" and "be going to"
indicate expectation on the part of the speaker and need not refer to
future time, pointing to future-time sentences the speaker regards as
certain and how they are primarily formed in the aorist/present
tense.)

Regardless of what you call it, though, the future perfect progressive
of a verb X in English clearly refers to that which would be formed
"will have been Xing" or "is going to have been Xing", which does not
even necessarily imply that any Xing has yet occurred or that there is
any chance of it happening in the future (though one of the two is
logically necessary).

 - teucer