On Sun, 18 Jun 2017, Owen Jacobson wrote:
> I tend to treat the rule about consent as an informative observation about
> the nature of Agora, and not as a normative part of the rules. It memorializes
> the observation that we all agree that Agora Is A Game, and that playing is
> voluntary. We recognize that any rules which purport to bind people without
> their consent are ineffective, but it’s not the rule that makes that true.

The purpose of that clause is direct: to prevent and block mousetraps, so
that it forbids Agoran courts from enforcing mousetrap agreements,
both for players and non-players.  It's not a historical observation at all,
but serves a very real protective purpose.  It prevents a player from being
penalized with Agoran markers of shame (cards and the like), so it should
do the same for non-players, even if the non-Agorans wouldn't "care".