On Tue, 20 Jun 2017, grok (caleb vines) wrote:
> >>"To flip an instance of a switch" is to make it come to have a given value.
>
> makes me believe that a switch can be flipped to any of the switch's
> legal values. As long as it comes to have the given value, it's a
> legal change.

There's a causality debate to be had here.  If you set a switch from
X to X, you weren't the one who "made it come" to have that value, it's
whomever did it before you.  I think, just from basic definitions, it
can be argued either way.  But your interpretation makes more sense in
the context of Officers' duties.  If an Officer is required to set a
switch to X, and it's already X, we want em to be able to say "I flip
the switch to X" and have it count as a duty fulfilled.