On Thu, 2017-06-29 at 20:39 +0100, V.J Rada wrote:
> Unrelated mostly but does anyone have any idea why Agora's offices
> mostly end with "or" instead of "er"?

A long time back there was a tradition of using -keepor for an office
that kept records about something (e.g. Rulekeepor). I don't know all
the details of the history there; it's possible that Ørjan does, or
perhaps some other player from that era.

This started generalizing into other offices after a while. The
construction was pretty much "append -or to a verb to form a name of an
office that does that verb". For example, a Promotor is someone who
promotes.

To add to the confusion, some office names have been chosen to
naturally end in -or, e.g. Tailor (which does not mean "someone who
tails", even though that'd be a valid retroconstruction of the word in
Agoran English). I think that's partly coincidence and partly people
having fun with the theme.

(There are also offices that fall into both of the above categories: an
Assessor assesses proposals, and the word also means "someone who
assesses things" in regular English.)

--
ais523