On Mon, 2017-07-10 at 10:42 +0200, Cuddle Beam wrote:
> ..I totally understand why it could be be appropriate to card me for
> trying the stick-up, but @grok, I don't understand the card part of if I
> *fail* to deputize for Surveyor just yet. If the argument is that using a
> loophole to try to get the office is "bad", shouldn't I be carded
> *regardless* of if I fail or succeed? How does succeeding to get the office
> somehow spare me of getting a card? (Either way, I'll accept the carding,
> but I just want to understand that part better)
>
> All that aside, well, yeah. I accept all charges (except for the no faking
> part, I wouldn't have written that wall of text if I didn't believe it had
> at least a slither of chance of working. Or, on the flip side, I wouldn't
> have written a huge wall of text with the aim to get a card when just
> writing something way shorter is way easier. I totally get that it feels
> heinous to try to pull off a stick-up like this though, but then again, if
> it worked, it could all just pass quickly if people simply vote FOR lol.
> But yeah, pretty evil.)

I have some potential advice here. If I'm going to try a scam and I'm
not certain it works, I often try to find a coconspirator with good
knowledge of the rules to talk the scam through with before attempting
it. This is particularly important because if you try a scam that
*almost* works, it can end up being stolen by someone else or fixed
before it actually goes through, so you want to find the best possible
version of the scam before attempting it.

It's also useful to have a good knowledge of Agoran history so that you
know what scams have already been attempted repeatedly and keep
failing. (Sometimes, such scams *do* end up working eventually, but
it's very rare, and you need to have a good understanding of why they
failed on previous occasions to know what would be different this
time.)

--
ais523