On Thu, 24 Aug 2017, Nic Evans wrote:
> In that regard I agree having a separation between
> 'Core' and 'Subsystems' in the rules would be nice.

I made a few attempts, while rulekeepor, to try "core and subsystem"
re-arrangements.  The issue I kept running into was within each
individual rule.  A single rule is written:

    [Main point (two sentences)]

    [Edge case Edge case Edge case Edge case (5 paragraphs)]

This made it hard to re-write cleanly into "core" and "sub".  I wrote
out a few rules with labels:

    Rule:  (main point)
    Legalese:  (edge cases)

with the idea that there could be a version that only had the Main
Point, and Legalese that could expand (in non plaintext versions).
It was a lot of work and I didn't finish.

That's not to say someone else couldn't/shouldn't experiment with
alternate LR arrangements as they're currently written, that was
just my  experience.

Another thought is that, when I first joined, there were a lot more
rules, but they were a lot shorter, just because of the style of
the time which has gradually changed.  Not sure if it would be
clearer to break up some rules, just an observation.