On 08/24/17 20:15, Alex Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-24 at 19:53 -0500, Nic Evans wrote:
>> * We have too many subsystems. It's hard to admit because nearly all of
>> them are neat and well designed, but it's just too much in one game at
>> once. Do we need three different binding agreements (agencies, pledges,
>> organizations)? Probably not. We should either combine them or remove
>> the least popular two. What about all of our winning conditions?
> On the contrary, I think the relative lack of activity in Agora is that
> there isn't actually anything to /do/. Much of what you list (like the
> winning conditions) is harmless. On that subject, I don't think we have
> nearly enough win conditions (most of the ones we do have are either
> scam release valves, or very long term goals). It used to be that you
> could win Agora every couple of months by outplaying people on the
> economy and on regular gameplay. That's no longer the case, and I don't
> think there have been any non-scam wins for a very long time (maybe a
> historically long time?).
>
> The thing about Agoran complexity is that there are two sorts: the
> rules you have to know about, and the rules that are only relevant when
> you interact with them. (Perhaps these should actually be in separate
> rulesets, at least presentationally? Most real-life rulesets work like
> that, after all.) If you don't know what a Trust Token is, it's
> unlikely ever to bother you. If you do, you can keep track of them and
> try to make progress in that direction (although with the mechanic
> unpopular, it's unlikely it'll ever result in a win).

We actually largely agree here, I think I was just poorly worded. It's
not that there's too much to do, it's that, from the perspective of a
new player looking at rules, it looks like there's too much to do and
that makes it really hard to see how everything fits together. A new
player doesn't know they don't need to worry about Trust Tokens, or that
the 7 rules about Organizations and 8 about Punishments are largely
irrelevant to them. In that regard I agree having a separation between
'Core' and 'Subsystems' in the rules would be nice. But I also think
that we should seriously consider scaling back and simplifying the
underutilized systems, at least for now. Add back the complexity as needed.