On 09/23/2017 04:47 PM, Cuddle Beam wrote:
I think a good way to analyze the game design is to guess in how much time the average player (eith average activeness and skill) will achieve a win (or dictatorship) given their join date.

If its not the same (or very similar) for someone who was around at the start than someone who joins later, then its Gerontocratic imo (on that front). For example, the case where the total capital of all active players, in comparison to what a newcomer has (Welcome Pack), grows over time.

New players shouldn't have such a handicap that they overcome consistently good play from existing players. And the stamp win isn't restricted to one-time. New players can still win with as much work as old players, but the old players have a lead by virtue of starting sooner.

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 at 22:26, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu <mailto:ke...@u.washington.edu>> wrote:

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2017, Owen Jacobson wrote:
    > As for the gerontocracy argument: Money is an inherently
    gerontocratic system.
    > It abstracts value from labor in a way that allows arbitrary
    allocation.

    Ok, I've been mulling this over for the past week or so, and some
    broad thoughts.

    I think we should step away from thinking of this in terms of
    Economies and
    think of it in terms of Game Design.

    On the supply side, what we have is classic exponential asset
    growth.  Base
    assets let you get things which then let your assets grow faster (I'm
    particularly thinking of the recent Agoraculture here). This can
    be very
    fun - the fun part of the grind games is when your properties
    start *really*
    producing.  But the problem is that it leads to early determination of
    winners versus losers, and if the game lasts too long, it's a
    frustrating
    slog for the losers.  In a game with no fixed end (e.g. real
    life), this is
    the gerontocracy.

    It's greatly exacerbated by the fact that distribution of valuable
    assets
    is via Auction.  Auctions are inherently exponential (a slight lead in
    your base asset leads to you winning a big valuable asset). Moreover,
    right now, the auction properties are far too rare, so you have to
    compete
    directly with the gerontocracy to buy in.  My main reason to hoard
    right now
    is to have any chance in an auction.

    I think the solution is some minimum income, and drastically
    reducing the
    buy-in difficulties for auctions (I'd do that through increased land).

    On the spending side:  quite frankly, we don't have enough
    diversity of
    things that actually buy game advantage to be worth spending on.
    We need
    to add different pathways to accumulation and specialization.

    There's a few ways to organize adding things to buy.  I personally
    would
    add permanent political buy-in based on our old Oligarchic system, and
    simultaneously re-form the Speaker position as we talked about
    last week.
    This would be entirely separate from land.  (there are other
    things we could
    invent to buy, this is one obvious addition).  I'd also think
    about specialized
    roles (e.g. only allowing Farmers to own land, and you can't
    easily change
    whether you're a farmer or not).

    The total portfolio of things to buy should have a unified game
    balance and
    different pathways to riches/success, and not just be a grab bag
    of random
    investment instruments (e.g. stamps, bonds, whatever).