On Sun, 1 Oct 2017, Aris Merchant wrote:

> >> Would a requirement that a person announce that a rule was broken
> >> within a week to invalidate the win be sufficient?
> >
> > Sounds about right.  How about attaching it to a CoE-like mechanism?  A CoE/
> > allegation of rule-breaking on a win announcement halts it until resolved
> > (including e.g. suspending Herald's requirement to award Champion), with a
> > standard "if a CFJ finds that a rules breach was significantly and directly
> > required for a win to occur, the win fails, RttC notwithstanding..."
>
> Current phrasing:
> "If a person would otherwise win the game, but e broke the rules to do so,
>   or another person broke the rules to help em win with eir advance
>   knowledge, and this fact is publicly announced within a week, the win is
>   invalidated. "

Fair enough for not using CFJs.  But you also have to set standards
as winning takes a while and breaking the game can happen in the past.

For example, as written, if I broke a rule 6 months ago to get myself
a ribbon, and no one noticed it and it self-ratified - for how long should
I be refused a ribbon win?   I think this should primarily apply to the
endgame - if the breach was recent, and directly materially significant
when the endgame happens.

Right now I'm thinking of it as a more over-arching philosophical
question.  We're still acting like a rules-breakage is a "crime".  But
what if we say   Hey, our metaphor is the referee.  This is a Game.  If
the ref calls it, fine, we take away the win.  But if the ref misses it,
or it was in the past, it stands (I mean, you don't unwind the whole
game because an early foul gave a minor positional advantage that led
to a score).

So having just written that, I'm going to change the opinion I started
this message with.  I think we shouldn't tie it to platonic winning and
platonic rules-breakages in any way.  We should tie it to actual Cards.

-G.